Thursday, September 18, 2008

This one's for you


This One’s for You

Wasn’t that lucky happenstance
when we live light years away
You in the country that stole my heart,
me in the country of my blood.
It actually took me by surprise just yesterday
That here we are you and me, both worlds apart
Both love writing and love life
You a wife and mother, me just a wife.

I love the happy joy with which you write
I see the kids in my mind and laugh out loud
Can imagine the stress, the parent’s plight
The boy’s answers might be unconventional,
But I think they do his parents proud
A boy that young in whom logic is so strong
Must be heading for a wonderful future -
How often the system gets the evaluation wrong.

Tom and Jerry, Mutt and Jeff – poor girl,
Jumping and hurrying in her head
Holding sleep hostage, making her toss in bed
Cartoon characters, animated,
around and round they whirl
how often a mother’s instincts work out for the best.
By giving in and coming from another point of view
How easy it becomes to give the TV bug a rest.

Cultures quite removed and customs so diverse
Amazing that one can so easily find common ground
Be it in a photo, painting or perhaps a verse.
You lift the curtain on your world –
Some things the same, some so very different, some profound
The closeness of family across generations and distance
So very different to the western creed of independence
How much warmer, sustaining and how much less loneliness
It’s in the ancient cultures that the real Global Village will be found

No comments: