Wednesday, September 17, 2008

For Merle - moving on 17 Sept 2008

Merle – moving on
I remember all those years ago in the mountains
Merle’s laughter echoing around the kloofs and kranse
in the stillness of the warm blackness of the night.
She was all the things which I longed to be
dark-skinned, elfin and everyman’s dream.
A sense of fun and boundless energy
Crossing our separate cultures as though she
had her feet firmly on a bridge spanning the divide.
The bright stars swirling round seemed to follow her
Vibrant, alive, one of nature’s chosen few.
The rocks over which we scrambled
in the day seemed grateful
For her feet as they lightly trod and took flight
The cold, rushing mountain stream hurried by,
Stopping only to caress her feet,
Eager to contribute to her delight
Birds in the sky dipped and swooped
Then once more turned to gain height
eager to share in joyous bounty, freely given.
Now those distant days are recalled in memory,
Today’s she’s gone, taken slowly and silently
Gone back to become one with the earth’s dust.
Missed by me and all those she knew.
Rest in peace, wonderful woman of light.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love to read poetries and your blog gives handful of same. I might read the poem through my own prospective and meaning, sorry for that.
'The Doorkeeper' is also written beautifully.
Thanks for taking time for my blog.
Hope will get chance to meet you.
Sorry, I don't approve personal comments, as they come in eyes of many. Looking forward to read more views on my posts.