Thursday, April 1, 2010

Elegy for the Dane (Huge)

Elegy for the Dane

The evening draws in, driving home the tendrils of

darkness

Clutch at the car

The leaves fall weeping from the trees and winter whispers

With icy breath

I smile to think of summer and you dance in memory

One more time

Once again we climb the mountains and hot and thirsty

You lie in streams

You and I laugh together as you rush greet me home from work

Pink teddy in your mouth

Walking the shore of the vlei in the evening Topaz catches sticks

You swim behind

I get drenched as you shake yourself dry and then plunge in again

Water people, you and I

The summer sun shines hot on your burnished copper coat as you run and

Pursued birds fly

Long days of companionship and laughter, you talk to me endlessly

A dog’s vocabulary understood

Now you’re gone – and far too suddenly your life is at an end

I miss you, my friend

But as the season changes, it’s time for us both to move along

I’ve addressed the wrong

Now I hear you on the winter wind, you need to leave

Your new journey calls

I lift my hand to my mouth; blow you a kiss to set your soul free

Next time we meet – remember me.

No comments: