Monday, September 21, 2009

Pariah Kites over Delhi


Languidly they sail above Delhi

Filling the skies in their thousands

Drifting like smoke on the air as it rises

Circling and spiralling like leaves

On a hot summer’s wind


Wingspan stretched to the max

They swoop as the small bird’s cry

Crows shout protests in voices gone hoarse

Doves dip below foliage and flee

Unconcerned, the kites circle the sky


Alert and silently ever watchful

On the city’s communication masts

They perch like swallows mourning the summer

While below others dive and twirl

Winging low over the ground


Ever faster, ever more elusive

The pariah kites remain ever distant

The wings fill my mind and my imagination

Bright eyes, yellow beaks cruelly soaring

Over the city till the end of time


Weaving invisible tapestries

Across the daytime city sky

They look for instant gratification

Criss-crossing their chosen terrain

While below the hunted hide


To and fro they swing and jibe

Turn and wheel and start again

Their constant flight my endless fascination

Intersect and interweave

Waiting for the night


The monsoon rain empties the heavens

No place for any bird to fly

Sheets of water plummet down until

Suddenly over, the sun timidly appears

And, once again, the raptors rule the sky


Far away in memory and time

I close my eyes and see how

The ghost of Delhi flies on feathered wings

Yellow eyes and talons clutch my mind

Winged Delhi stalks my memories I find.


No comments: