Thursday, January 1, 2009

Done and Dusted



Yesterday I pulled out my trunk of dusty memories,
Opened the lid and shook some out to see what they held for me
Nothing seemed to take my fancy, so I tied them once again with lace
Smiling at the recollections, I softly put them back in their place
Aware that all things past and future are really present tenses
I returned to here and now and prepared to throw away the keys
Whispered to my friend the spider to spin a web both strong and true
To protect the precious treasure chest and lock away my relics of you
A fun-filled chapter filled with laughter and light as cotton candy
No need to count the cost, reminisce or keep any souvenirs handy
Back in control, the brief, delightful heady and exotic madness
Wrapped away with no regret and certainly not a trace of sadness
The present moment the only reality that one can treasure
This is where I gain my laughter and my pleasure
A fleeting memory of a song casts it's sudden shadow
Memory of what I once surmised, now how true, I know
But I shake my head and smile – that's all done and dusted
I'm back in the immediate, the only tense that can be trusted
Then I open up the page – and how's this for a laugh?
Just when the locks were turned and the key became an epitaph
To my surprise I find I've fallen in love with a photograph,
Send in the clowns indeed, shrug my shoulders – past tense ousted
And in the present tense, it will remain done and dusted.

No comments: